Thursday, January 20, 2011

1989 Donruss, Floyd Bannister



#262 Floyd Bannister

Usually, when I send out an '81 Donruss card to get signed through the mail, I will only send that one card. But occasionally, if the former player has a really good track record with signing TTM, I might throw in an extra card to get signed. So when I wrote to Floyd, I could not resist sending him a card from his Royals days. To be honest, I would have also sent his '85 Topps #1 draft pick card along with it if I had one that was in decent shape.

If you missed the first Bannister card I posted, you can check it out by scrolling down four or five posts.

Floyd pitched for 15 seasons in the Majors. He played with the Astros, Mariners, White Sox, Royals, Angels, and Rangers. He made one All Star team and that was in 1982 as a member of the M's. He recorded a career high 209 strikeouts that season. He went to the White Sox the following year and he posted career bests in wins (16) and ERA (3.43).

It looks like Floyd was quite the innings eater as he pitched more than 200 innings six times in his career, with a personal best of 247 in '82. But, it looks like that those innings took a toll on his arm as he missed half of the 1989 season and all of 1990. When he came back in 1991, Floyd worked strictly out of the bullpen for his final two seasons.

Normally, I would post another card today since I am posting my second Floyd Bannister card in less than a week. But, since I am going to Royals Fanfest tomorrow (and will not be doing a post), I figured that I might as well leave a Royal at the top of my blog for a couple of days.

2 comments:

Orioles Magic said...

Good luck at Fan Fest!

Tom said...

I guess I need to see if I have a Bannister card signed as an Astro and post it to my blog!