Thursday, March 27, 2014

1990 Best, Brian McRae


#276 Brian McRae

Here is another Brian McRae card. This one was signed at Royals Fanfest in 2013.

This card comes from the 1990 Best set. This was a year before Best teamed up with Classic and sold their minor league cards to the masses. While these cards did come in packs, I encountered very few of them. In fact, I think the only packs I ever bought came from a vendor at a flea market.

I like the lack of a border on the front, but it would be much better if all of the pictures were not posed. Still, there are some good cards in the set such as Bernie Williams, Jeff Bagwell, and Frank Thomas.

I think this card is kind of strange because Brian is wearing his Memphis Chicks hat and road pants, yet an actual Royals batting practice jersey. I have no clue where the picture was taken, but it doesn't really look like a Florida Spring Training park. Maybe the Royals provided all of their minor league affiliates with Royals batting jerseys back then just to help cut down on cost. Who knows?

No comments: