Thursday, September 1, 2011

1988 Topps, Robbie Wine



#119 Robbie Wine

Here is the second of three cards that Robbie signed for me at a Wichita State baseball game in March. Robbie is the head baseball coach for Penn State and the first card can be seen by scrolling down a couple of posts.

Since I still have one more card to post of Robbie and little else to say about him, I am going to dedicate this post to the 88 Topps Blog. That blog was the first baseball card blog that I encountered and I tried to model my blog as best I could off of it. Back then, I didn't even realize I was reading a blog at all. That stuff was still new to me and I just figured I was checking in on an actual web page. I know that sounds dumb today, but I had no clue back in 2008.

It is kind of funny if you check out the post about this card on that blog because Andy was really short on words with Robbie as well. All Robbie got from Andy was two sentences, but the second one is very informative. It states that "since 1980, Wine has the 6th most career at-bats for a player who never registered an RBI or HR". That is a fascinating stat and that was one of the fun things about the '88 Topps blog- Andy truly knew how to manipulate the baseball reference site to the fullest. I wish I could find half of the stuff that he was able to dig up.

1 comment:

night owl said...

You're right about Andy. I wish he was still blogging about cards.

'08 was some crazy days for blogging. Andy and Ben Henry and Wax Heaven in full-force. Dinged Corners, Tribe Cards, Cardboard Junkie, etc. It had to be the most inspirational year for blogs ever.