Sunday, June 26, 2011

1969 Topps, Ken Boswell



#402 Ken Boswell

Here is the third of four 1969 Topps card that I I acquired over the offseason. Just like the other three, this one was acquired through the mail. I wrote to Ken because I have had this card sitting in a box for years and I figured it was time to add a signature to it.

When I was in grade school, I had a buddy that didn't collect cards. But, for some reason, he had a box of cards from the late '60s to the early '70s. Every once in a while, I would go through the box and pull out a couple of cards that he would give to me. This is one of those cards. The reason why I selected it is because of the Topps rookie trophy. When Topps brought back the rookie cup in 1987, all of the best rookies had the cup on it. That was my mindset when I chose this card and the Byron Browne card I posted a few days ago. But, when I got home and saw that both cards were considered commons in my Beckett, the two cards went straight into my commons box. And there they sat for almost twenty years until this past February when I finally sent them off and I could not be more thrilled with the results.

I sent this card to Ken on the 17th of February and I had it back on the 2nd of March.

Ken played with the Mets and Astros during his eleven year playing career. He was a .248 career hitter that clubbed 31 home runs during his career. He had season highs of a .279 average (1969), 9 home runs (1972), 44 RBI (1970), and 20 doubles (1971). He never made an All Star team, but he did play in two World Series with the Mets, winning it all with the 1969 team.

No comments: