Tuesday, January 13, 2015

2001 Upper Deck Prospects Premieres, Mike Conroy


#47 Mike Conroy

Here is a card that I got signed at a Wichita Winguts game in 2012. Mike was playing for Wichita at the time and signed the card for me before a game. He was impressed to actually see a card of himself and commented that it was an old one and that it was taken twelve years ago.

Mike was the 43rd player selected in the 2001 draft by the Indians. He came out of Boston College High School and signed quickly enough to get into 43 minor league games that summer. Mike struggled making the adjustment to pro ball and, in five seasons in the Indians organization, barely made it above A ball. The Tribe cut him loose after the 2006 season. Mike hit just .247 in affiliated ball.

After missing the 2007 season, Mike caught on in the American Association. He would continue to play in the independent leagues through 2012, also seeing time in the Atlantic League and Can Am League. He had his best season with the Wingnuts in 2011. That year, he got into 99 games and hit .302 with career bests in doubles (23) and RBI (48). Though he was just a .247 hitter in affiliated ball, Mike hit .285 in the independent leagues.

I took my boy to his first Winguts game the same day that Mike signed this card. He wanted something to wear that said Wingnuts, so I let him wear my hat. After I got Mike to sign my card, some kids came up and had him sign their stuff. One kid got his cap signed. My boy saw that and promptly ran down and got his hat signed. He came back up grinning and then asked me if it was alright that he got the hat signed. He went on to add a few more signatures to that hat that day and it has been his ever since.

I hate how this card looks like the base Upper Deck set. They must have got that from Bowman.

1 comment:

Paul Hadsall said...

I remember Mike Conroy playing for the Southern Maryland Blue Crabs in the Atlantic League. I saw him pitch & finish the end of a blowout game in Somerset... he actually didn't look too bad on the mound, as I recall.