Sunday, January 11, 2015

2001 Topps, Dan Riechert


#259 Dan Riechert

Here is the third and final Dan Riechert card that Dan signed for me at a Wichita Winguts game in 2013. Dan was the pitching coach for the Lincoln Saltdogs. You can see the first card that he signed for me here and the second one here.

I mentioned in the last Riechert post that he got claimed off of waivers by the Devil Rays at the end of the 2002 season, ending his Royals career. He never pitched in the Majors for the Rays and they released him in Spring Training the following year. He was picked up by the Blue Jays and made his Major League curtain call with them that season. With Toronto, Dan got into 15 games, all in relief. He had no record and a 6.06 ERA over 16.1 innings. He did have his best strikeout to walk rate of his career, though, 13:8.

Dan continued to pitch through the 2012 season, splitting most of his time between AAA and the independent leagues.

For his Major League career, Dan was 21-25 with 2 saves and 5.55 ERA. He struck out 240 and walked 223.

It looks like Dan is still listed as the pitching coach for the Saltdogs.

The signature on this card looks a little weird, like it was signed with a Steadtler. It was signed with a Sharpie, so I have no idea why it looks that way. Maybe Dan just signs so fast that the Sharpie could not keep up.

When Dan was a rookie with the Royals, I thought he was going to be a good pitcher. Because of that, I had him sign one of my official balls.


I also took my picture with him on photo day. I wasn't signed until the Wingnut game where I got the cards signed.


Sorry it is a picture of a picture, but I was too lazy to take it off the wall to scan.

No comments: