Saturday, January 29, 2011

1990 Topps, Dennis Boyd



#544 Dennis Boyd

Here is another card from the lot of non-Padre Padrographs that were sent to me a few weeks ago by Rod. This one features the former Red Sock, Expo, and Ranger, Dennis Boyd.

If you are not familiar with Dennis Boyd, then maybe you might remember him by another name- Oil Can Boyd. I first heard about the Oil Can during the 1986 World Series. I was an impressionable seven-year old kid at the time and I thought that he had the coolest name ever. At that age, the only concept I had of an oil can was what the Tin Man used to lube himself up with in the "Wizard of Oz" and that probably just made his name that much cooler. I figured that you had to be one of the best pitchers around to get a name like that. Boy, was I wrong.

While Boyd wasn't one of the best pitchers around (he never made an all star team), he did have a very solid 1986 season. He went 16-10 that year with a 3.78 ERA in 214.1 innings. That 214.1 innings might seem like a lot until you notice that he threw 272.1 innings the previous year. Without looking, I am going to guess that he got the Oil Can moniker from that season.

Those two seasons must have took their toll on his arm as he only made seven starts in 1987. But, he was able to come back in 1988 and by 1990, he was pitching 190 innings. While that is a far cry from 272 innings, you can't get on a pitcher for giving you only 190 innings.

Dennis finished his career after the 1991 season. He has a 78-77 record for his career and a 4.04 ERA. I seem to remember him wanting to make a comeback recently, even though he was around 50-years old. I would look it up, but then I might stumble upon how he got his nickname and that would just ruin everything.

I must admit that I was a little disappointed that Dennis does not sign "Oil Can Boyd".

3 comments:

Paul Hadsall said...

Boyd played independent league baseball from 1994-1997. He made a second comeback with the Brocton Rox in the Can-Am League in 2005 - he had a 4-5 record with a 3.83 ERA in 17 games.

I have to admit it - I don't think I'd be very interested in Boyd's autograph if he didn't include his nickname.

Orioles Magic said...

Yeah, an Oil Can signature would be nice.

And from what I just read in a book about the '86 Mets-Red Sox World Series, he got the nickname because they called beer Oil Cans wherever he was from and he was quite a drinker.

zman40 said...

Thanks for pointing that out Ryan. When I think of oil cans and beer, I think of the big Fosters cans.