Tuesday, January 11, 2011

1952 Bowman, Ned Garver



#29 Ned Garver

Here is the second Ned Garver card that I sent to him in November. When I started looking to buy some cards of the guys that were going to be at the Kansas City A's reunion, I first went to checkoutmycards.com to see what they had. They had a bunch of Ned Garver cards on there at the time, but they didn't have any cards of him in a Browns uniform that was in my price range. So, I headed to the last resort, Ebay, and I found this card for about $3.50 plus postage. I bought the card and then I ended up finding the '49 Bowman card (yesterday's post) from checkoutmycards about a week later. Ned was the only KC Atheletic at the reunion that I bought two cards of.

I mentioned yesterday that Ned was the last player to win 20 games for a team that lost 100 or more. That was in 1951, Ned's fourth season in the Major Leagues. That was by far the best season that he had in his fourtteen-year career, as he would never win more than 14 games in a season afterwards. That was also the only season that he made the All Star team and he also led the league in complete games that year with 24. But, has another distintion from the 1951 season. Ned hit .305 that year, which was the second highest batting average on the Browns team (minimum 100 plate appearances).

Ned played with the Browns, Tigers, A's, and Angels throughout his career. He finished his career 129-157 with a 3.73 ERA and 153 complete games. He also had a lifetime batting average of .218 with 7 home runs.

No comments: