Monday, May 2, 2011

2005 Topps, Ross Gload



#468 Ross Gload

Here is the first of a couple of cards that I got signed by Ross Gload during his tenure with the Royals. I got this card signed by the Royals parking lot in 2008. That year, the Royals were in the midst of their stadium renovations and the Royals parking lot was set up in a different area than it is now. These days, the players parking lot is is a little less accessible than it was during the renovation years.

When I got this card signed, I was standing by the players exit from the parking lot with a small group of graphers. I asked Ross if he would sign for us and he said "for you kids, sure, since kids don't even collect cards anymore". I told him that most cards were too expensive for kids to collect these days and he said "I suppose you're right". It was certainly an interesting interaction.

I enjoyed the time Ross spent with the Royals. He was primarily the starting first baseman and, though he was small for a first baseman, he had a good stick and a good glove. He is not the type that is going to club a lot of bombs, but he always seemed to put the ball in play.

Before he went to the Royals, Gload's White Sox teammates had nicknamed him Ichigload because he was able to hit about anything.

Ross is playing for the Phillies now and through 14 games, he is 4-16 with one RBI. It looks like he is primarily being used as a pinch hitter.

No comments: