Thursday, January 30, 2014

1987 Topps, Ken Oberkfell


#627 Ken Oberkfell

Here is the first of three cards that I got signed by Ken Oberkfell at a Wichita Wingnuts game last summer. Well, at least it was supposed to be the first of three. Since then, it has turned into the second of four since my kid got a card signed by him and then abandoned it in his room.

Ken played for six teams during his sixteen year Major League career. I already had his '81 Donruss card signed a few years back from when he was with the Cardinals and I was able to add three different teams this go around. I was glad to get this card signed because I had gone two years without getting a card from this set signed. On top of that, when I think of Ken, I always think of him as a Brave. He only played for Atlanta for about four seasons, but that was right when I was really getting into baseball and would watch any game that was on TBS or WGN. Because of that, he is ingrained in my head as a Brave.

I was a little worried about getting this card signed in blue with him wearing a blue jacket in the photo. It would have looked a little better in black, but I am not disappointed in the outcome at all.

Ken is the manager of the Lincoln Saltdogs of the American Association.

No comments: