Saturday, January 25, 2014

1987 Fleer, Juan Nieves


#352 Juan Nieves

Here is the first of three cards that Juan Nieves signed for me in 2012. Juan was the White Sox bullpen coach at the time and he signed the three cards for me in Kansas City by the visiting team's bullpen prior to the start of the game.

I just checked Juan's career stats and I was shocked to see that he only pitched for three seasons. I went over to Wikipedia to see if I could find out why his career was so short and all it said was that an arm injury ended it.

He tried to pitch for a couple more seasons in the minors, but apparently his arm was not holding up. He made three starts in AAA in 1989 and seven in A-ball in 1990. That was the end of his career until he made a comeback bid with the independent Sioux Falls Canaries of the Northern League in 1998. He made five starts with them and went 0-3 with 8.06 ERA before re-retiring and dedicating himself to coaching.

No comments: