Monday, December 6, 2010

2004 Topps, Zack Grienke/Jimmy Gobble



#330 Jimmy Gobble/Zack Grienke

This is the first card that I got two signatures on and it only took me about five years to get them both. The first signature I got was Jimmy Gobble's and I got it at a Royals Caravan appearance at the local Buick dealership in 2004. This was the only card that I had of Jimmy, so it was better than getting just a Royals issued postcard signed. The funny part is that, at the time, I didn't have a clue who the Grienke kid on the top part of the card was.

Fast forward to 2009 and everyone found out who Zack Grienke was. That is the year that I got Zack to sign the card, but I got the card signed before the season began at Royals Fanfest. I usually take my autograph book with me to Fanfest in an attempt to get more than one card signed (I know, I'm a bad person). When I got to Grienke, I made sure to point to this card so I could get it completed. He signed this one and one other card for me that day. I tried to get more than one from him this past Fanfest, but he only signed one card for me. I guess you never really know what you are going to get from Zack (unless he's on the mound).

This will probably be the last time that I post a Zack Grienke card while he is still a member of the Royals. That kid sounds really anxious to get the hell out of KC.

As for the "Future Star" billing on this card, Zack became a star. Jimmy Gobble? Not so much.

4 comments:

paulsrandomstuff said...

Jimmy Gobble may not have become a star, but at least he's got a memorable name. :)

Nice card.

Collective Troll said...

Awesome!!!
I love getting 2 sigs on one card... I did that with a couple of manager cards from the 90s. I would always get the Pirates manager to sign a few in person and then send them off TTM and cross my fingers... Again, AWESOME!

zman40 said...

Thanks guys!

Ryan aka Orioles Magic said...

Paul hit the nail on the head. I will always remember Jimmy because of his name and Grienke due to his performance on the field.