Friday, August 6, 2010

2003 Topps, Carlos Febles



#94 Carlos Febles

Here is the third and final Carlos Febles autograph that I have to share on the blog. This one, like the first one, was obtained in 2008 in Lancaster, California while Carlos was the batting coach for the Lancaster Jethawks. The second one was sent to me by Brian from The Play at the Plate.

I can't really think of anything to say about Carlos that I hadn't said in the first two posts, so instead, I am going to talk about 2003 Topps.

For whatever reason, I really like this set. The inset picture reminds me of the good ol' days of '83/'84 Topps. But the thing I probably like the best is the blue border. It is so unusual and unique that it just stands out and defines the design. I'm sure that there are some other blue-bordered cards out there ( '86 and'87 Fleer comes to mind, different shades though), I just haven't seen any this color.

But, in the grand scheme of things, the blue border could become this set's downfall. Just look at most of your '71 Topps to see what I mean. Once these cards start to get roughed-up a bit, you are going to start seeing white spots on the blue border. Luckily, today's cards are a little more durable than they were in '71, so it will be interesting to see how they (and just about every modern Bowman set) stand the test of time.

2 comments:

Orioles Magic said...

I might have said this before, but I really like Carlos's autograph.

zman40 said...

I will agree with you on that one. His first name is real linear while his last name is more like a symbol than anything else.

It's fun to see the difference from his autograph in 1999 to the one from 2008.