Monday, November 20, 2017

1990 Leaf, Milt Thompson


#308 Milt Thompson

Here is the third and final card that I got signed by Milt Thompson at Spring Training earlier this year. Milt was the hitting coordinator for the Reds and I was able to get him to sign while switching fields at the Reds minor league workout. At first, he told me he couldn't sign because he was working. But, once he realized I was by myself, he motioned for me to come over and he signed all three cards for me. You can see the first card I posted here and the second one here.

That first card had Milt with the Braves and the second one had him with the Phillies. Here he is with his third team, the Cardinals. He played with them from 1989-'92 and had some productive years there, hitting .274 with 20 home runs and 149 RBI with the club. His best offensive season was with them in 1989 when he hit .290 with 8 homers and had career highs in doubles, 28, and RBI, 68.

After the Cardinals, he went back to the Phillies for a couple of years before finishing up with the Astros, Dodgers, and Rockies. Unfortunately, I do not think there are any mainstream cards of him playing for those last three teams.

2 comments:

Dan said...

I loved the look of those 1990 Leaf cards. I didn't buy too many because they were so expensive. Never got one signed either, but hoping to change that this spring. I have a Chris Bosio card from that set and he was recently named the Tigers pitching coach, so I'll have a couple of opportunities to try and get him.

zman40 said...

I know what you mean about them being expensive. I don't have too many of them either. Good luck with Bosio. I have got him a couple of times, so he shouldn't be too difficult.