Thursday, February 28, 2013

1981 Coke Teams Sets, Willie Aikens


#1 Willie Aikens

Here is a card that I got signed at Royals Fanfest last month. I have been picking up some oddball cards of former Royals over the past few years as I see many of the guys on a yearly basis and it is fun to get some less well known cards signed. This year I took this Coke card, a Squirt card, a Drakes card, and a SSPC card to get signed, but this is the only one I had any luck with.

As with most oddball sets, I know nothing about this one. The card is of the same stock as the regular 1981 Topps cards, so they were not cut out of a box. I can only assume that the cards were inserted in twelve packs or that there was some way of redeeming the cards through the mail. Maybe someone who remembers these can fill me in.

As for Willie, he recently published a book titled "Safe at Home". I picked up a signed copy at Fanfest, but I have yet to start reading it.

Prepare yourself for large dose of 1981 Donruss. At the rate I am going, I will probably be posting that set for the next six months.

No comments: