Monday, February 18, 2013

1980 Topps, Fergie Jenkins



#380 Fergie Jenkins

Here is the second and final card that I got signed by Ferguson Jenkins at All Star Game Fanfest last summer. The first one that I got signed featured him as a Cub since that is how I always picture him. This one features him as a Ranger and I bought it because it was super-cheap. I wish that I did not have to buy a card of Fergie as a Ranger because somewhere I have an unsigned '81 Donruss card of him that I need to add to my collection. I took it to an old timers game to get signed in 2008 and failed and I haven't seen the card in a few years. I know it is laying in some unsorted box somewhere, I just haven't come across it in some time. However, though, I recently made my first purchase from sportslots and I finally picked up another '81 Donruss Fergie Jenkins. Now I will be ready if I ever run across him again.

Fergie pitched for the Rangers for six seasons. He never made an All Star team with them which is amazing considering that he won 25 game in his first season in Arlington. Since the All Star Game takes place in the middle of the season, maybe he won all those game after the break. In those six seasons, Fergie was 93-72 with a 3.56 ERA. Those 93 wins are still good for fourth place on the Rangers all time wins list and the 25 in a single season is one Ranger record that will probably never be broken.

2 comments:

Play at the Plate said...

One of my favorites you've ever shown. Congrats!

Carl Crawford Cards said...

Turned out well. The cards with the facsimile auto are always a bit iffy.

When I met him a Twinsfest, I had no idea he was so tall!?