Sunday, December 30, 2012

1974 Topps, Tim Johnson


#554 Tim Johnson

Here is something that I haven't posted in some time- a card that I got signed at a game. Tim managed the El Paso Diablos, of the American Association, this past year and I was able to get three cards signed by him when they came to Wichita at the end of the season. Tim seemed genuinely nice and even told me that he liked the ball club that Wichita had and that he hoped that they would win it all. I had hoped the same, but it didn't happen as the 'Nuts got swept in the championship.

Tim took over the Diablos in the middle of the season this past summer. The club started off 4-16 before Tim took over and they finished the year 47-53. Tim's 43-37 record got them close to playoff contention until the team stumbled down the stretch. Nevertheless, Tim did such a good job with the team that he was named the American Association's Manager of the Year.

No comments: