Saturday, December 15, 2012

1973 Topps, Dave Rader


#121 Dave Rader

Here is a card that I got signed through the mail about ten days ago. I sent this card, and an '81 Donruss, to Dave towards the end of November and I had to them both back about eight days later.

I did not have this card in my collection, so I picked it up for fairly cheap from Checkoutmycards when they had their Black Friday sale. I figured that since I was posting some older cards right now, I might as well add to them a bit.

Dave played in the Majors for parts of ten seasons with the Giants, Cardinals, Cubs, Phillies, and Red Sox. He started out his career with San Francisco and was their everyday catcher for a couple of years before eventually moving into the back-up role. The Giants traded him to the Cardinals after the '76 season and Dave proceeded to change teams every season after that. He last played in the Majors in 1980 with the Sox.

Dave finished his career a .257 hitter with 30 home runs and 235 RBI.

In 1973, Dave finished second in the National League in intentional walks. He only hit .229 that year, so I hope he was hitting eighth.

Speaking of finishing second, Dave finished second in the '72 National League Rookie of the Year vote.

No comments: