Monday, April 20, 2009

1993 Score, Michael Tucker



#498 Michael Tucker

I got this card signed at a Royals Caravan signing at the mall around 1995 or '96. I was probably a sophomore at the time. That was the last caravan that I went to until 2001.

As for Michael Tucker, he never lived up to the expectations. He played two years in Kansas City before being shipped off to the Braves for Jermain Dye (who was at the 2001 Caravan). That was a great trade for the Royals and would have been even better if they could have held on to Dye. But, they were unable to and the Royals ended up bringing Tucker back to KC for two more seasons in 2003.

While Tucker was not a bad player by any means, he just did not put up the numbers to be a starting corner outfielder. The most home runs that he ever had in a season was 15 and the most RBI he ever drove in was 62. Plus, he was a .256 career hitter. He would have been a great fourth outfielder to have on a team, but not necessarily a starter.

Tucker was, however, a pretty good hitter in games that I attended. I saw him play in 35 games (once with the Cubs and the rest with the Royals) and he hit .331 in 124 at-bats, with 19 runs, 18 RBI, 14 extra base hits, and five steals. What can I say? I guess that I bring out the best in some people (Chris Singleton was 11 for 15 in games I saw him play).

Also, Michael has an interesting signature. It is impossible to make out and I have a hard time believing that the signature starts out with an "M". It is also funny to see that he was drafted as a shortstop. That may explain his light hitting.

3 comments:

night owl said...

Another player who failed miserably on my fantasy teams.

Anonymous said...

He's going to be a Newark Bear this year, so I'm kinda interested to see how he'll do (and what his signature looks like in 2009).

zman40 said...

I did not know that. I guess he is not quite ready to hang it up, yet.