Sunday, December 1, 2013

1984 Fleer, Willie Aikens


#U1 Willie Aikens

Here is a card from the '84 Fleer Update set that I got signed at Fanfest last winter. I now have the first card from the regular Fleer set and the Update set signed. And I just happened to get them both signed the same day.

Since getting released from prison, Willie has become a regular at Royals alumni events. That is great as he is a pleasure to talk to. At Fanfest, I was trying to ask him about his new book, "Safe At Home", but he kept asking me where the booth was where he was going to be selling it. My dad ended up getting the book for me just before he left and my dad agreed that Willie was fun talking to.

The book itself was a good read. I had never heard much about the early '80s Royals drug usage besides the obvious suspensions. Willie's book went into a lot of details about that club and his personal problems off the field. If you ever get a chance, pick it up. It is well worth it.

This coming season, Willie will be a coach for the Royals Rookie ball team in Idaho Falls. If there is one person that can get through to some young kids about doing the right thing, I bet it will be Willie.

In case you forgot, Willie was the first player to have two two-home runs games in the same World Series when he did it in 1980 against the Phillies. Chase Utley is the only other player to accomplish that feat.

No comments: