Monday, October 4, 2010

1995 Donruss, Butch Henry



#455 Butch Henry

Here is a card that I got signed at the last Wichita Wingnut game I attended this year. Butch was the manager of the visiting El Paso Diablos and he was nice enough to sign all three cards after the game.

I asked him to sign before the game, but he was running a little behind and the umpires were already congregated around the plate. He told me that he couldn't sign then, but he would get me after the game. So, as soon as the ballgame was over, I went down by El Paso's dugout to get the cards signed. Before he signed for me, he asked if I was the guy that asked him for his autograph by the 'Nuts dugout just prior to the game. I told him that I was and he told me that he was going to look for me on his way back to the clubhouse. I thought that was pretty cool. When asking for autographs, you get rejected in more ways than one, but one of the most used is "I'll get you later" and then later never happens. So, it was nice to see a player/coach actually follow up on what they said.

I attended my last baseball game of the season yesterday. For the first time ever, I got to see a meaningful game in October in Kansas City. Sure the Rays clinched the AL East while they were down 2-0, but they were able to pull it off in extras to gain an actual lead in the standings. Plus, I got a game-used bat card signed by Evan Longoria. So, yeah, I had a pretty good day.

How long until Royals Fanfest? I need some more autographs!!

1 comment:

Orioles Magic said...

I feel the same way Zach. I'll start counting down the days until I can graph again after about a week away.