Wednesday, October 8, 2014

1995 Fleer, Carl Willis


#217 Carl Willis

I did my best for eighteen years on not getting a card from this set signed. Then, last year at Spring Training, I relented. Carl was the pitching coach for the Mariners at the time and this was the lone card that I took of him with me. I had gotten three cards signed by him in 2009, so I was low on cards of him that were unsigned. This was the only one that I found, so I broke down and got this special looking card autographed.

For some reason, I completely forgot that I needed him on my '09 Topps Heritage Indians coaches card that is only signed by two of the four guys.

This has to be the most horrific set ever made. I believe that there were a couple of different layouts, each one as bad as the rest. I don't think that I have to tell you how bad this card is. It speaks for itself. I do have to wonder, though, why Fleer thought that they had to include the player's height and weight on the front of the card. Very strange.

Despite the layout of the card, the signature came out looking OK. Not bad for a card where the player looks like he is pitching in a Cypress Hill video.

I mentioned in the last post that I got married over the weekend. Here is another picture from after the ceremony. We decided to do our pictures at our local ball field and I could not be happier with the results. I can't wait to see the rest.

No comments: