Tuesday, November 24, 2009

1996 Score, Andy Ashby



#216 Andy Ashby

Here is another Padrograph from Rod. This one features the two-time All Star, Andy Ashby.

Andy pitched for 14 seasons with five teams- the Phillies, Rockies, Padres, Braves, and Dodgers. I don't remember much about him. In fact, when I started this post, I had it titled as "Andy Benes". In 1998, he was 17-9 with the Padres and he had a 3.34 ERA and struck out a career high 151. He made his first All-Star appearance that year and he also helped take the Padres to the World Series. He made another All Star appearance the following year. Then, the Padres decided to sell high and they traded Andy to the Phillies.

For Philly, Andy went 4-7 with a 5.68 ERA in 16 starts. The Phils then flipped him to the Braves prior to the trading deadline and he went 8-6 with a 4.13 ERA down the stretch. He made two relief appearances during the NLDS that year. That would he his final post-season experience.

He then signed a three year/ 20+ million dollar contract with the Dodgers and made two starts in the first year of the deal (and no relief appearances). He made 30 starts the next year and went 9-13 with a 3.91 ERA. His finished his Dodger tenure the next year with 21 appearances (12 starts) and a 5.18 ERA. He signed with the Padres after the season and made two relief appearances for them before shutting it down. He made two minor league starts the following year before deciding to call it a career.

Andy has an interesting signature. It is hard to make out on this card. But, if you click on his name at the top of the post, you can see the one that the Baseball Almanac has.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll always remember Ashby for having to face David Cone on the last day of the 1991 season when he struck out 19 Phillies.

Though Andy took the loss, he was the only Phillies starter who didn't strike out.

Anonymous said...

I'll always remember Ashby for having to face David Cone on the last day of the 1991 season when he struck out 19 Phillies.

Though Andy took the loss, he was the only Phillies starter who didn't strike out.

night owl said...

I always got Andy Ashby confused with Alan Ashby, which is ridiculous, since they didn't play the same positions or resemble each other at all.

It took him signing with the Dodgers for me to stop confusing the two. His pitching bothered me too much for me to make that mistake again.

zman40 said...

Paul- that is funny that he didn't strikeout; I didn't even bother to look at his hitting stats to see if he was decent.

NightOwl- I was even more screwed-up with this guy than you were. For some reason, I was thinking that this card was of Alan Benes. Before I started to post I saw it was Andy and thought it was Andy Benes. I even had a most of a paragraph written before I noticed. At least you only got him confused with one other player.

Anonymous said...

Ashby wasn't really a great hitter (except in 1993 and 1996), so his ability to make contact in that game was something of a surprise.

Btw, the link to Ashby's stats is still pointing to Andy Benes' Baseball Reference page. :)

zman40 said...

Thanks Pual. I got it fixed.

Play at the Plate said...

He does have a nice sig..