Sunday, January 21, 2018

1992 Donruss, Tom Candiotti


#459 Tom Candiotti

Here is the first of three cards that Tom Candiotti signed for me on the last day of the regular season last year. Tom does radio for the Diamondbacks and the club was in Kansas City to finish out the year. I got to the park nice and early that day and was lucky enough to catch Tom as he was coming off of the team bus.

When I think of that Candy Man, I picture him playing for the Indians and Dodgers. Well, it turns out that he pitched for the Brewers, Blue Jays, and A's, too. His time in Toronto was extremely short, though. He was acquired by the club mid-season in 1991. Down the stretch, we went 6-7 with a 2.98 ERA and helped the Jays secure the division by seven games.

Unfortunately, he was not much help for the club when the postseason began. He got two starts against the eventual World Champion Twins and took the loss in Game One after failing to get out of the third inning. He got the start in Game Five, but got a no decision after the bullpen blew the three run lead it was handed. For the series, he had an 8.22 ERA over 7.2 innings. He gave up 17 hits and walked 2 while striking out 5.

The Jays did not bring Tom back after that season and he signed with the Dodgers.

I am kind of surprised that this is the only '92 Donruss I have to post. It seems like I have a ton of '92 Donruss and Fleer. But, I have so much that I hate going through them to pull cards. I know the card is in there, I would just rather not have to dig through so many cards to find it.

The '92 Donruss design sure looks good on Blue Jay cards, though.

No comments: