Wednesday, July 12, 2017

1986 Donruss, Bob Melvin


#456 Bob Melvin

Here is the second card of Bob Melvin that I have posted on here. I posted the first one back in 2014, just a few months after getting the cards signed. Bob was nice enough to sign three for me prior to a Spring Training game when his A's were visiting the White Sox at Camelback Ranch.

Bob was drafted by the Tigers and made his Major League debut with them in 1985. He got into 41 games and, in 82 at-bats, he hit .220 with 4 doubles and 4 RBI. He was then traded to the Giants shortly after the season ended for a trio of players that included Matt Nokes. That trade worked out for the Tigers in 1987 as Nokes made the All Star team and blasted 32 bombs.

If I had to guess, I probably got one pack of '86 Donruss back in 1986. All of my local super markets only carried Topps at the time, so that was what I always got. But, the one pack of Donruss that I did find that year included this card.

3 comments:

Fuji said...

There's just something cool about owning a card you originally pulled from a pack thirty years ago. Awesome card.

zman40 said...

No doubt. I just wish half of those cards were in as good of condition as this one. It doesn't help that most of those cards were from '86 Topps.

Fuji said...

1986 Topps cards look pretty amazing when they're signed in black Sharpie. I have a handful sitting in my collection that I've slowly accumulated over the years.