Thursday, August 4, 2011

1981 Donruss, Don Money



#443 Don Money

Here is a card that I got signed two weeks ago while I was at an Iowa Cubs game. The Nashville Sounds were in town that night and Don is the club's manager. I was able to get this card signed along the left field line as Don was making his way to the dugout. Some other 'grapher got Don to come over and sign and Don seemed like quite a character. The other 'garpher asked Don if he could "get one from him" and Don came over asking "one what; what are you wanting one of?" as he signed for the guy. So, I played along, too, and asked Don if I could also get one. He came over doing his "one what" line again as he signed my card. It was a little strange, but kind of funny just the same.

This is the only '81 Donruss card that I have got signed this summer. It has just been one of them years. But, at least I got one. I was 0-fer before that. [I'm pretty sure that 0-fer is a word, but I have no idea how to spell it.]

As for Don, he was a four time All Star with the Brewers in the '70s. He best season came in 1977 when he had career highs in hits (159), home runs (25), and RBI (83). He finished his career a .261 hitter with 176 home runs and 729 RBI.

Don has been managing in the Brewers system since 1998. He started off in single-A and has gradually advanced up to AAA. In 2007, he was the Manager of the Year in the Southern League.

After just three posts, I am done with '81 Donruss. Oh well. At the rate I am going, it will probably be another year before before I get around to posting the next bunch. Maybe, by that time, I will have a nice stockpile to show off.

'81 Donruss Tracker: 85/100

No comments: