Saturday, December 16, 2017

1990 Topps, Willie Wilson


#323 Willie Wilson

Here is the second of two cards that Willie Wilson signed for me at a Royals game in 2015. On Sunday games, the Royals always have an alumni or two signing at the Royals Hall of Fame. That was how I got the cards signed. I took my wife through with me and we each got a card signed. I posted the other card this past summer and it can be seen here.

This is Willie's next to last Topps card as a Royal. While a good-looking card to get signed, it is definitely not an exciting photo. It is just Willie chilling in the dugout. For some odd reason, Willie's '91 Topps card has another photo of him chilling in the dugout. Topps makes it seem like Willie was not playing much during his last two seasons in Kansas City.

Even though Willie hasn't played for the Royals in over twenty-five years, he is still a leader in many single season stats for the club. Willie had an amazing season in 1980 when he batted 745 times, had 705 official at-bats, recorded 230 hits that included 184 singles. All of those were single season franchise records. Plus, his 83 steals in '79 and his 21 triples in '85 are also franchise records. On top of that, he is the Royals all-time steals leader with 612, almost doubling second place.

Hopefully, I do not go over a week before I post the next card.

No comments: