Thursday, February 6, 2014

1988 Fleer, Frank White


#273 Frank White

While I have posted too many cards of Frank White on here to remember, here is something you won't see everyday- 1988 Fleer. This card is the first ever card from the set that I have got signed and just the second one to appear on this blog (the first was given to me by another blogger). For whatever reason, I just do not have very many cards from the '88 Fleer set. I have a plethora of Topps from that year and a lot of Donruss and Score, but not Fleer. The only reason I can come up for not having many of the cards is that my local supermarket must not have stocked Fleer.

This card is one of two that Frank signed for me in Wichita last summer. Frank has been working for the Kansas City T-Bones, of the American Association, for the last two years and I got the cards signed when they visited the Wingnuts. Last month it was announced that he will be back with the club for a third season. The Bones hired a new manager this off-season, so I was unsure if Frank would be back. But, he is. After all, who wouldn't want an eight-time Gold Glover coaching minor leaguers?

Sadly, Frank was not at Royals Fanfest for the second straight year. Almost two years ago, he and the Royals had a falling out after they did not renew his contract as the color man on their TV broadcasts. Frank claims that he is "done with Royals", which is sad because of the long history between the franchise and himself. Hopefully, cooler heads will prevail and Frank will come back. Only time will tell.

1 comment:

Play at the Plate said...

Sorry to hear about his falling out with the Royals, but that is a nice sig Z. Congrats.