Sunday, December 9, 2012

1972 Topps, Cookie Rojas


#415 Cookie Rojas

This is the second of four Cookie Rojas cards that I got signed at All Star Game Fanfest this past summer. I was glad to see that Cookie attended Fanfest because I did not have any signatures from him. And as an avid Royals fan, that was not good. I tried getting Cookie's autograph through the mail a few of years ago, but I never got it back. Turns out that he is not much of a TTM signer, which I did not realize at the time.

Cookie came to the Royals in 1970 after spending the first nine seasons in the National League. He quickly became a star for the new Kansas City Royals and he represented them in four straight All Star Games from 1971 to 1974. He brought a veteran presence to an expansion ballclub and was one of the reasons the Royals were able to make the playoffs in just their seventh year of existence and be over .500 in their third season.

Cookie's best season for the Royals came in 1973. That season, he hit .269 with 6 homer runs and had career highs in RBI (69) and doubles (29).

This is the last '72 Topps for a while. I got one signed through the mail a couple of days ago, but I am going to move on to some '73 Topps with my next post. I have six of them to show off including two Hall of Fame members.

No comments: