Saturday, October 27, 2012

1965 Topps, Ty Cline


#63 Ty Cline

Yesterday, I said that I had a signed card from every team that played in the Major Leagues since 1952. I made that assumption based off of the Colt .45 card that I posted yesterday and the fact that I had gotten this card signed before that one. This is my first and only signed Milwaukee Braves card. The only problem is that I overlooked one thing. The Braves played in Boston in 1952 before moving to Milwaukee the following year and I do not have a signed Boston Braves card. So, I now have another goal to achieve.

Ty played in the Majors for twelve seasons with the Indians, Braves, Cubs, Giants, Expos, and Reds. He was mainly used as a reserve as he only got 300 or more at-bats in a season once and that was with Cleveland in 1962. He was a career .238 hitter that tallied 125 RBI and 6 home runs in his career. Two of the home runs he hit were off of future Hall of Famers Don Drysdale and Jim Bunning.

I unlocked this card in the Topps Diamond Giveaway in 2011. I sent the card to Ty in the beginning of November last year and I had it back seven days later. I wish I was getting ready to send out my Topps Golden Giveaway cards right now. If only cards were unlocked in the giveaway and not virtual coins.

Does anyone have any suggestions for former Boston Braves players that sign through the mail?

3 comments:

deal said...

Good luck getting a Boston Braves sig - that is a tough goal - there can't be too many of those players that are still around.

deal said...

Just posted a column that may interest you

http://phungo.blogspot.com/2012/11/phun-cards-1959-topps-492-gene-conley.html

enjoy the football game this wkend. ned.

zman40 said...

Thanks, Paul. I actually found out that Del Crandall sings TTM (for $5, as well), so I recently bought his '52 Topps card. I'll be sending it out as soon as I get it in the mail.